My Story

Do you have a story to share about your experience at the WSU VTH?

We would love to hear from you.

Email your story and photo to Kay Glaser at kayann@vetmed.wsu.edu

Vern: December 2016

VernMy name is Vern, and I am a cancer survivor. Back in December 2016, my mom Tracey discovered a papillary carcinoma (cancer) on the upper maxilla (jaw bone). It grew six millimeters overnight. I went to an oncologist and was referred overnight to WSU Veterinary Teaching Hospital. I called the oncologist coordinator, and she got me right in the next week with this emergency. I flew to WSU. The cancer was on the upper maxilla and had metastasize itself to it. I am 5 months old, which makes this rare. My veterinarians Dr. Julie Song and Dr. Jason took great care of me. I had radiation treatments for a month, and Dr. Julie took me home every night. When I was done with the treatments, Dr. Julie brought me to the airport. My mom flew in, got off the plane, where Dr. Julie handed me off to my mom, and got back on the plane and came home. This Thursday, March 30, I fly back to do another CT Scan to see if the cancer has come back. I am very grateful to the whole crew at WSU has taken care of me. Woof…woof two paws up!!

Washington State University