Welcome

Main Hospital Switchboard: 509-335-0711
Emergencies and Scheduled Appointments

Emergency and Critical Care is always open.  (509) 335-0711

AAHAThe Veterinary Teaching Hospital (VTH) opened in 1996 and is one of the best equipped Veterinary Teaching Hospitals in the nation. The Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences is committed to excellence in the diagnosis, treatment and management of animal health. Sophisticated diagnostic and treatment technologies are available including MRI, CT scan, ultrasound, endoscopy, arthroscopy and radiation therapy.   Fourth-year professional veterinary students and postgraduate students (interns, residents, and graduate students) work together with clinical faculty and staff to diagnose and treat patients.

VTH News

WSU vets put this cat back on track

Jun 30, 2020
A rare brain surgery performed by Washington State University veterinarians is giving one retired Japanese show cat a chance at a longer life, free of diabetes.
VTH News HoneyBee

That cat is HoneyBee, a 10-year-old purebred Maine Coon. Some say she looks more like a miniature bobcat.

HoneyBee was admitted earlier this month at WSU’s Veterinary Teaching Hospital with a pituitary gland tumor at the base of her brain.

“She was on death’s doorstep,” Mollie Mansfield, HoneyBee’s owner, said. “We weren’t sure if she was going to live to her tenth birthday.”

HoneyBee’s health troubles started in November when she was losing hair as well as peeing and drinking excessively.

She was later diagnosed with diabetes mellitus, a condition when blood sugar levels are high and not enough insulin is produced to regulate those blood sugar levels.

However, she required a dose of insulin more than 20 times the regular dose.

“Like many pituitary tumors, this tumor was secreting too much growth hormone, which was counteracting the insulin,” said Tina Owen, pituitary surgical specialist who leads WSU’s Pituitary Surgery Service. “With the tumor removed, we hope over time HoneyBee will require very little to no insulin and potentially be cured of her diabetes mellitus.”

Owen was one of the first veterinarians in the U.S. to routinely perform pituitary surgery. To remove a pituitary tumor, veterinarians gain access through the roof of the mouth.

Owen has now performed more than 75 of the surgeries. This is her first performed on a Maine Coon.

Since the tumor was removed on June 3, HoneyBee only requires a regular insulin dose, about a half to one unit. Mansfield said some days she doesn’t require any insulin at all.

It’s a massive decline from the nine units she originally required twice a day, she said.

Mansfield thanks veterinarian Maggie Spath of Tumwater Veterinary Hospital for recommending the Pituitary Surgery team at WSU.

“Dr. Maggie really did save her life,” Mansfield said. “If it wasn’t for her, I would have never known about this amazing pituitary team. She told us ‘WSU is where you want to go.’”

WSU’s Veterinary Teaching Hospital was the first university and now one of three hospitals in the nation that provides pituitary tumor surgery. The three-woman surgical team consists of Owen, neurologist Annie Chen-Allen and critical care specialist Linda Martin. Neurology resident Hilary Wright and fourth-year veterinary student Ryley Carman also assisted and cared for HoneyBee during her 10-night stay at the hospital.

Back at home, HoneyBee is growing back to her healthy 15-pound self. Despite the surgery, the retired show cat from Tokyo featured in cat shows up and down the West Coast isn’t coming out of retirement.

She’s staying right at home in Olympia, Wash.

“They are magic, this pituitary team,” Mansfield said. “HoneyBee is eating well, her coat looks good, she looks alert and her legs are getting stronger and she is starting to do her jumping again. It’s a miracle.”

Find this release online at https://news.wsu.edu/2020/06/30/wsu-vets-put-cat-back-track/

Media contact:

What Our Clients Are Saying

• I had already been singing the praises of WSU and Dr. Fanucchi before I got this email survey. My dog is already behaving like a different dog. Other people have noticed this, too. I am super super pleased with the outcome and the investment in time, money, and energy of going to see the doctor. I live in Seattle and it was definitely totally worth it. —Seattle, WA
  • Had a great experience. Doctor, Tech, and Lisa were fantastic. Explained to me clearly the problems and how we are going to go about treating them. They treated Pepper with love and compassion. She seems to be quite popular! And, at the very end, Lisa verified my charges and escorted me to the cashier desk. Further, she stayed there in case I had any questions. What professionalism. What service! —Colfax, WA
  • Thank you for taking such good care of my dogs. You are the best. —Deary, ID
  • The effort and care put into trying to save my Eeyore back in April was nothing short of amazing. —Moscow ID
  • We are very grateful for the collective knowledge of the oncology department and particularly Dr. Choy and staff who found ways to treat our kitty Maddy's rare subcutaneous melanoma. We are grateful this holiday season that our girl still is with us and doing well. —from FaceBook Post
  • The WSU College of Vet Medicine saved our kitty's life. We are so grateful. It was the best Thanksgiving ever, thanks to them. —Marysville, WA
  • Thank you so much for being there for my Romeo and helping her. Even though the outcome was not what we had hoped for we still got to spend another month with her. That was a month we wouldn’t have had if it weren’t for you. —Prosser, WA
  • I will never be able to thank you enough for all your care and kindness. The loss of my cat was one of the most difficult times in my life. Although in the end we lost her, I know the opportunities and care she received at WSU were the best possible chance she could have had and the personal compassion and sympathy from all those who worked with us were more than I could have expected….From the bottom of my heart, thank you. —Spokane, WA
  • There are no adequate words to express how thankful we are to have Dr. Kelly Farnsworth and his team available to our herd.—Lowden, WA
  • Thanks to everyone at the hospital for taking such good care of Missy. If Dr. Fransson is still there, please pass on to her that Missy is still doing good. Thanks again.—Spokane, WA
  • Dear Dr. Barton,  I just have to take the time to thank you profusely for your loving and professional care of Ruby during our stay in Pullman about three weeks ago…I love your facility and your bedside manner very much. We all thank you. —Vashon, WA
  • When we were out of hope you were there for us. I can never thank you enough. —Seattle, WA
Washington State University