Welcome

Main Hospital Switchboard: 509-335-0711
Emergencies and Scheduled Appointments

Emergency and Critical Care is always open.  (509) 335-0711

The Veterinary Teaching Hospital (VTH) opened in 1996 and is one of the best equipped Veterinary Teaching Hospitals in the nation. The Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences is committed to excellence in the diagnosis, treatment and management of animal health. Sophisticated diagnostic and treatment technologies are available including MRI, CT scan, ultrasound, endoscopy, arthroscopy and radiation therapy.   Fourth-year professional veterinary students and postgraduate students (interns, residents, and graduate students) work together with clinical faculty and staff to diagnose and treat patients.

VTH News

It’s not often one gets to cure Booda

Jan 5, 2021
Without radiation therapy, Booda would very likely not be here to bark about it. Liz and Frank Wallace’s six-pack of wiener dogs would’ve been down to five.

In 2019, Booda, a 12-year-old dachshund, was diagnosed with a brain tumor. If left untreated, it could have caused neurological problems eventually leading to death.

So, when Liz’s neurologist at the VCA Clackamas Animal Hospital in Clackamas, Ore., recommended Washington State University’s Veterinary Teaching Hospital, she and Booda jumped in the car, only stopping for gas. Six hours later they made it.

“I remember they said ‘yes, we can help her.’ They started providing radiation therapy the next Monday,” Liz said.

For the next month during each visit, the Wallace couple and their six-pack camped in their motorhome throughout the Palouse. At radiation treatment number 18, Booda’s treatment ended and, besides check-ups, so did the camping trips.

“I am so glad beyond measure that the specialist recommended WSU,” Liz said. “If it hadn’t been for WSU and their care, our dog would be long gone right now.”

The six-pack of weenies, also known as BRAFLO—Booda, Ruger, Annie, Frankie, Lucy and Olivia—now has had one more year as a six pack that they may not have had before.

Booda had a recheck in August, and since completing radiation therapy, her tumor has continued to diminish in size.

Although, she has been diagnosed with Cushing’s disease since her treatment, the couple is managing it.

“WSU’s Dr. Caroline Hohlman has been the greatest thing. We still have contact with her and she’s always responding to her email,” Liz said. “When people become so turned inward, a lot of the common courtesies are forgotten nowadays. We are always treated with the utmost respect and courtesy, and our dogs are as well.”

You can help animals like Booda and give hope to those who love their animals when you support cancer care at the WSU Veterinary Teaching Hospital.

What Our Clients Are Saying

• I had already been singing the praises of WSU and Dr. Fanucchi before I got this email survey. My dog is already behaving like a different dog. Other people have noticed this, too. I am super super pleased with the outcome and the investment in time, money, and energy of going to see the doctor. I live in Seattle and it was definitely totally worth it. —Seattle, WA
  • Had a great experience. Doctor, Tech, and Lisa were fantastic. Explained to me clearly the problems and how we are going to go about treating them. They treated Pepper with love and compassion. She seems to be quite popular! And, at the very end, Lisa verified my charges and escorted me to the cashier desk. Further, she stayed there in case I had any questions. What professionalism. What service! —Colfax, WA
  • Thank you for taking such good care of my dogs. You are the best. —Deary, ID
  • The effort and care put into trying to save my Eeyore back in April was nothing short of amazing. —Moscow ID
  • We are very grateful for the collective knowledge of the oncology department and particularly Dr. Choy and staff who found ways to treat our kitty Maddy's rare subcutaneous melanoma. We are grateful this holiday season that our girl still is with us and doing well. —from FaceBook Post
  • The WSU College of Vet Medicine saved our kitty's life. We are so grateful. It was the best Thanksgiving ever, thanks to them. —Marysville, WA
  • Thank you so much for being there for my Romeo and helping her. Even though the outcome was not what we had hoped for we still got to spend another month with her. That was a month we wouldn’t have had if it weren’t for you. —Prosser, WA
  • I will never be able to thank you enough for all your care and kindness. The loss of my cat was one of the most difficult times in my life. Although in the end we lost her, I know the opportunities and care she received at WSU were the best possible chance she could have had and the personal compassion and sympathy from all those who worked with us were more than I could have expected….From the bottom of my heart, thank you. —Spokane, WA
  • There are no adequate words to express how thankful we are to have Dr. Kelly Farnsworth and his team available to our herd.—Lowden, WA
  • Thanks to everyone at the hospital for taking such good care of Missy. If Dr. Fransson is still there, please pass on to her that Missy is still doing good. Thanks again.—Spokane, WA
  • Dear Dr. Barton,  I just have to take the time to thank you profusely for your loving and professional care of Ruby during our stay in Pullman about three weeks ago…I love your facility and your bedside manner very much. We all thank you. —Vashon, WA
  • When we were out of hope you were there for us. I can never thank you enough. —Seattle, WA
Washington State University